Saturday, November 19, 2005

Medical Photo



I've added another picture from the New York Times "Mid-Week Pictorial Series" (this one from November 1, 1917). In response to the class presentation we had on the 14th about medical developments of the war, I've posted this picture. I think it's the only one I have that is medically-related. Notice the unsanitary conditions these men are working in? I don't know if it scanned well enough, but if you look closely, I think you can see that this man has had a bullet/shrapnel/something go right through his shoulder. My guess is that there were few of these types of pictures published in the Pictorial Series because the family at home would not want to think about men being injured, especially in reading a popular magazine. It is alright to look at the destruction to the landscape, the weapons used to create that destruction, the day-to-day life of the soldiers, and so on, but we don't want to see the concrete, often deadly, results of the war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home