Monday, October 10, 2005

The New York Times "Mid-Week Pictorial" Series



I have attached a page out of my private collection of The New York Times Mid-Week Pictorial series that ran in that newspaper during WWI. I don't have much information on this series, other than that it began during WWI and continued into the 1920's due to popular demand. This particular page is from Vol.III, No. 24, August 17, 1916 (page 11). While it is a decidedly American publication (especially after the U.S. entered the War; it became a propoganda machine), there are many photos and articles about the British contribution to the war, so I think that it is worth while including a few here. I'll update as our discussion continues.

I thought this would be a good spread to begin with, partly because it is from the earliest edition that I have, but also because it gives us a great image to start with as we begin our discussion of The General. Is it just me, or do any of you see Curzon in that superior officer in the top picture? :)

One last note: please forgive me if the images are unclear or if the text is unreadable. The papers are pretty fragile due to their age and are difficult to scan. I'll try my best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home