Sunday, December 04, 2005

The End

At the end of the novel, we are brought back to where we started: Curzon is sitting in his Bath chair with his plaid rug, and Lady Emily is by his side. After all that Curzon has been through, it seems as though he has learned nothing at all. His mind is inflexible and stagnant all the way through the book, but I have a hard time believing that any real person could go through such an experience and not be drastically changed, unless stoicism is a much more powerful force than I thought. I found my self really wanting Curzon to have some great epiphanic moment, or at least a brief emotional ejaculation, but this never happens. Perhaps what is missing is the experience of shell-shock, which may be another difference between Forester's writing and the poetry of Sassoon and Owen, which I discussed in a previous post. But maybe the whole point is that he could not change. Anyway, it has been fun blogging with you all! This is my last post, so bye everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home