Monday, November 21, 2005

In Hornblower's Shadow


As Candice said previously, when searching for information on The General, my search results were often over shadowed Forester's Horatio Hornblower Series. There are links to fan sites such as this and plenty of links to buy the novels. There is even a DVD boxset found here based on the novels. When I told my Dad (who is an avid reader and averages about 2-3 books in a week) what we were reading this semester, he had never heard of The General, but when I mentioned CS Forester he immediately responded, "Didn't he write the Hornblower Series?". I think it's unfortunate that The General is over shadowed because it is a great work of fiction.

4 Comments:

Blogger Candice said...

It seems as though people only really get around to reading The General because they loved the Hornblower series so much that they had to search for more of Forester's work. I hate to use amazon.com as a source one again, but this idea was expressed in people's comments about The General. Also, Sternlicht's book, which I mentioned in a previous post, makes a similar comment.

Friday, November 25, 2005 11:47:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa Moxon said...

It's the opposite for me... I've come to appreciate Forester so much in reading The General that I'll be delving into some Horatio Hornblower novels during the semester break :)

Thursday, December 01, 2005 6:17:00 PM  
Blogger Candice said...

I came across an interesting tidbit of information in my search for sites about C.S. Forester. Apparently the Hornblower series served as the basis for Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek series, which makes me want to run out and read the books....Yes I am a Star Trek fan. Don't laugh too much ;) I found this on Wikipedia, so who knows how accurate it is.

Monday, December 05, 2005 11:17:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa Moxon said...

ok, I admit I'm a Trekkie too. My favourite lesson applicable to our blog:
"Don't put all your ranking officers in one shuttlecraft"

Monday, December 05, 2005 11:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home